Friday, June 11, 2010

You know the old adage...

"if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I've been trying to live that for the past three months since my husband and I were both laid off (well, if I'm going to be completely honest, my husband was "let go"). Ironically, we both were put on notice the same week in March and our jobs ended the same week in May. Go figure. We've been job hunting since March, but no luck so far. I attended a job fair yesterday, so I'm hoping to get some bites there. Next week we move out of our rental home because we don't have an income to sustain that rental rate. Who am I kidding. We don't have an income! So while technically we will be homeless (at least in the eyes of the law), we have a place to stay with friends and family until we both find work.

Funny - never in a million years did I think I would find myself in this place. As a matter of fact, when I earned my Masters in Ed. all those years ago, I distinctly remember my husband and I saying to each other in an effort to justify the cost, "teaching is a great career - they will always need teachers!" Turns out they don't need teachers after all. At least not in California.

4 comments:

PJD said...

What's truly sad is that we can't get rid of the garbage teachers that have tenure and seniority in our schools, while much more competent teachers are left without jobs.

I am confident it will turn for you both soon.

Karen said...

Jana, my heart aches for you. Like you, I always think there's security in teaching, but as Peter says, often it's the bad ones with tenure who are protected. I'm hopeful that things work for you both.

Unbelievable.

Dalene said...

Jana!

I'm frustrated for you! You are an amazing teacher, and I agree with Peter: we need to get rid of the teachers who don't even want to be teaching. They need to MOVE OVER. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, ears open, and saying a prayer for you.

bluesugarpoet said...

Glad to know I have your support, friends! Be thinking of me and praying for me as I weather this journey. :)