Thursday, March 03, 2005

New Neighbor?

More about my neighbor...as if I don't have anything more interesting to discuss. Okay, so I don't, but that's just the way it is some times.

Anyhow, last week my ex-neighbor, "Drew," posted a "For Rent" sign in front of his house. If I thought that the guy would be diligent enough to check for priors on Meth lab busts, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But Drew just gave his wife full custody of his kids, in his own words, "to call her bluff," since what she really wanted was joint custody.

Oh yeah, that will teach her a lesson.

Needless to say, his logic is a little off here. All I'm saying is that I don't want to pay the price if my ex-neighbor decides to teach a "Green-River-Killer-type" a lesson by renting the house to him.

That's just the beginning of my story. Two days ago, I saw Drew showing the home to some folks. When he took the signs down, I assumed that a buyer or renter took the bait. My suspicions were confirmed when later that day the same nice new red Ford F-10 from that morning showed up, and papers were signed right there in the driveway.

Of course I immediately wondered why a person with that nice of a truck would be buying the "Very Brady" split-level next door. Brand new houses go for the same or less than what my neighbor was asking. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor? Who knows.

So I conveniently dashed outside to check my mail when I spied Drew doing the same before he took off. As we passed each other, casually I probed, "Hey, it looks like you sold your house."

"Yeah, someone is going to rent it for a year and then buy it."

"Cool! Well that's great news! Do they have any kids?"

"As a matter of fact they do. Three little girls."

"What do you know?! My girls will be excited to hear that! But please keep in touch. We will especially miss your kids. Make sure you bring them around next time they are in town."

"Will do."

And then Drew got into his mother's PT Cruiser and drove off into the horizon.

No comments: