Saturday, June 16, 2007

God Bless Texas

Texas, Our Texas! All hail the mighty state!
Texas, Our Texas, so wonderful, so great!”

I mentioned that there is a different kind of attitude here in Texas. A patriotic pride for the United States, for sure, is present, but it’s a patriotism that hardly rivals that for the beloved “Republic.” You know, Texas was an Independent Republic at one time (let me take a moment just to interject - Vermont – get over yourself. You don’t even have an Alamo!).

“Boldest and grandest, withstanding ev'ry test
O Empire wide and glorious, you stand supremely blest.

See what I mean. Even the state song makes reference to that fact. It says, “We’ve fought lots of wars here. And we withstood the test. Okay, we lost the Alamo, but we remember it. That counts for something. And we kicked ass at San Jacinto.” Vermont, I know you have a lot of forts and stuff there, but that was all from way back when during the Revolutionary War. Sure, you seceded from the British, Vermont, but you “more or less” stayed out of the war of 1812! That was all soooo long ago.

Besides, what does Vermont have? Skiing? Syrup? You are beautiful, I’m sure, Vermont, but let’s have a level head about it. Texas has land. Lots of it. Even if no one wants to live on 6/10ths of it, you know that our people have been and are working on it.

“God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.”

Do your school children know your state song? Do they even know there is a state song? That’s doubtful. Isn’t it true, Vermont, that you, in fact, adopted a NEW more singable song in 1998? More sing-a-ble.

“God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.”

Vermont, you enjoyed 14 good years of being an Independent Republic. Let’s not spoil those great memories by dwelling on what “could have been.”

I digress. What I want you to know, dear readers, is that I learned the first verse and chorus to the Texas state song since I moved here six months ago. Sad to say, I never learned the state song for Oregon, and I lived there most of my life. Here at the school my kids attend, they sang the Texas state song almost every day at the school assembly (assembly – this is how the children spend the first 15 minutes of every school day, you know, getting all patriotic and loving the school and stuff). I have also learned to pledge the Texas flag, which the children recited – no joke – every day.

Our state flag

“I pledge allegiance to thee Texas,
One and Indivisible”

In Texas, the state flag is flying everywhere. Everywhere. Men and women alike wear the Texas flag, even. Texas flag shorts, Texas flag shirts, Texas flag shoes and socks and underwear. In Texas, the state flag is flown at the same height as the US flag. Not under it - beside it. It says, “I know we said we would be a part of this here United States; that’s only because we want to. Don’t get any ideas.”

When I was in Louisiana last month, once I saw the Confederate flag flying at the top of the flag pole, and the US flag was flying underneath that. But that’s another story altogether.

3 comments:

PJD said...

Texas produced George W. Bush.
Vermont produced Ben & Jerry.
I rest my case.

As to state songs... what is the California state song, anyway? The 59th Street Bridge song? (Feelin' Groovy!)

bluesugarpoet said...

Rats! I knew someone would bring that up...

I only have one retort to that: Lyndon B. Johnson. He has a city named after him here, you know. Oh, and Dwight David Eisenhower is also from Texas.

A lot of other great people are from Texas too, such as Buddy Holly, Willie Nelson (he has a homestead not far from where I live, btw), Katherine Anne Porter,
Howard Hughes, Ross Perot...I'm not really helping my case here. But the famous people list for Vermont is half the length of that for Texas. Okay, California would beat us both in that contest, but my point is that GWB isn't the only famous person from Texas.

Let's talk more about Oregon:
"Land of the Empire Builders, Land of the Golden West;
Conquered and held by free men, Fairest and the best.
On-ward and upward ever, Forward and on, and on;
Hail to thee, Land of the Heroes, My Oregon."

C.A. said...

Don't forget that Davy Crockett is part of Texas history... as if you could due to the many books about him in the Texas airport gift shops.

Those Texans have to fly the flag that high because of their big hair.

You do have to admit, the name "Texas" does have a ring to it unlike Ory-gun or is it Or-uh-gun or is it Or-ee-gan or is it Or-i-gami....