Monday, January 15, 2007

Better than OK (so the Texans would say...)

It figures. The year we decide to move to Texas (and, I must admit, I was looking forward to enjoying some Winter warmth), is an "El Niño" year. That means that it is raining here. A lot. On Saturday, it rained three inches where I live (five inches down town). When I talked to my mom on the phone later that day, she said laughingly, "It serves you right."

Right now, it is 29 degrees outside, and a band of rain is headed this way. Freezing rain, that is. Of course there are those of you who have had to endure worse weather conditions in the past few weeks. But you have to understand that a little ice storm in Central Texas creates a lot of crazy. Hour by hour weather reports. Weather spotters. Grocery store picked clean (as if we might have to hunker down in our houses for a week). Then again, this is Central Texas. The city just might shut down with the predicted 1/4 inch of ice expected.

In the mean time, I've been walking around town wearing flops. Just today, I decided to dig out my winter coat (which I bought in San Francisco a few years ago). Although when I was outside a few minutes ago (wearing my flops), it didn't feel that cold. It's a "warm" 29 degrees. Must be the humidity.

3 comments:

Lily said...

BOL! Yeah, it got up to 29 here today.

bluesugarpoet said...

Yeah, I've noticed that you've been in the single digits in your part of the world. Update: it is snowing! Pictures to come....

said...

Ha! We've had 50s last week.

But they'll be out frying an egg on the sidewalk in no time down there, don't worry.