Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Crazy

While I am waiting to hear from the school where I applied and for other randomness to be settled in my life, I am completely undone inside.

*Yesterday, I told Poetroad that I no longer want to be a parent. It seems as if I am always frustrated with the kids of late, and I am tired of being the disciplinarian. To be a proactive parent would be the smart way to handle their typical "kid" behavior, but instead, I am a reactive parent.

*Today, Poetroad learned about what our Nicaragua mission team accomplished on their most recent trip. They built a house so that the children who live in the city garbage dump don't have to live in the dump any more. They will go back and work with an organization that is building a place to house daughters that were forced into prostitution by their parents - all for garbage. For the price of one daughter, the garbage men will deliver the trash right to your door step, and then you can sift through the trash so that you can repurpose or resell what was once thrown away.

*Today, I learned that these daughters have AIDS and other countless STDs. They will die young. Many of these girls have already died or are waiting to die right now - most - if not all - are under the age of 15.

*Today, I decided that I still want to be a parent. Yes, my kids are probably ruined, but at least I'm not forcing them into prostitution.

2 comments:

PJD said...

Imagine forcing your children into prostitution to have garbage delivered to your door. Remarkable. It makes me sick when I see letters to the editor in our local paper that say, "I'm proud to drive my 10-miles-per-gallon Hummer. So what if I pollute?" Americans are so unaware of how awful life is for others in the world and how much could be done if as a society we chose to be less selfish and gluttonous.

It's all relative, isn't it?

And good for your volunteers to help in what small way they can. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever does." (Margaret Mead)

bluesugarpoet said...

I love that quote! And I love what you've shared. Yes, Americans (and people in general, sad to say) would make more of a difference in this world if we would be even a little less selfish. For those of us who at least acknowledge the battle against selfishness, it is up to us to do our part. Change happens one person at a time.