Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fisherstine laid down the proposition...

and I said "yes". My buddy from college, Dalene, is a driven woman. She doesn't do anything half-way. In fact, Fisherstine (a nickname that combines her married and maiden names) amazes me at all she has accomplished in her life. I couldn't even list everything as it would take too long, but she is the mom of four, she once owned a coffee shop, she teaches literature, and, more recently, has decided that she would like to run marathons. Last year, she ran her first (is that right, Dalene?). Currently, she is training for the Chicago marathon.

I've never ran a marathon. Heck, I've never ran more than 10 miles. But I need a running goal, so why not make it a marathon? Fisherstine suggested "Big Sur, 2009." While it looks to be a brutal course, why not start there? I gotta start somewhere!

Today, I ran my long run. It kicked my butt. Only 5.5 miles, but a mile of that is up hill. Which I walked. It took me 53 minutes to complete my run. Terrible time, I know. But I've got a whole year to train. And think how much faster my time will be when I can complete this little course without walking!

Big Sur, 2009 - here I come!

7 comments:

PJD said...

Clearly you are not yet in Sacramento if a mile of your run was uphill. I predict that your training this summer will be... damnedly hot.

bluesugarpoet said...

Yes, I was a little disheartened by the flatness of Sacto. How far do you suppose I'll have to drive before I encounter hills to run up?

I don't mind hot. It's hot here too. And humid. At least it won't be humid there.

PJD said...

Plenty of hills around Folsom, which is only 10 or 15 miles east (toward Tahoe). I'm not sure if there's a lot of good nature there for jogging. It's right near Sutter's Mill.

Or you could drive 30 miles west to Vacaville (or 50 miles west to Walnut Creek).

Lily said...

this is funny...i have been thinking about running too since connecting with Dalene...but i have only been thinking about it. This kinda reminds me of nanowrimo and how i wanted to write a novel but didn't get very far.

I want to run a marathon, too but am petrified to commit. How many miles would I have to run in a week?

Do you remember when I was a runner, once upon a time, long, long ago in a land far, far a way...

bluesugarpoet said...

Funny you said that, Ch@ndy - I was thinking to ask you to join in. You are the one true distance runner with lots of racing experience. Just go buy yourself some knee braces if your knees hurt!

I think you only need to train four or five days a week. You could do that!

Dalene said...

Sorry girls, how did I miss this post?

I'm just 100% pumped that you would both consider doing this! I can honestly say it is NOT that hard...it's just a time commitment..and I can thank my hubby for being so excited for me, he was always willing to watch the kids for me on my long runs.

COMMIT Chandy! Didn't we run together quite a bit in college? I have memories of running in the rain and we got the "runners high," and just kept going forever. I wonder how long we actually ran?

You two girls are just a trainload of fun. Looking forward to Oct. 2009. Start reading up on marathoning. I recommend Hal Higdon's book, marathonrookie.com, and jeffgalloway.com.

Imagine Waterboy--"You can DO it!"

Dalene said...

Oh, and by the way...53 minutes? I'd be thrilled if I were you.