Friday, May 16, 2008

Oh. Yes. I did.

Ok, ok. I haven't always been fashion savvy. I admit that. I don't know what happened in the 90s. Really. There was that grunge phase. Then there were the oversize vests. And jeans that were baggy and belted at the chest. Stirrup pants. Yeah. I wore it all.

But something happened at the turn of the century. I got rid of the frumpy wardrobe and opted to wear the hip and cool fashions. Well, hip and cool for a woman in her thirties.

This week, however, I think I bobbled the ball. Fumbled even. I bought these shorts:



To my defense, these are ultra low rise shorts, and I bought them from Old Gravy. I mean Navy.

Nevertheless, they are jean shorts. Jean shorts. Might as well slap an elastic waist band in there and call me "Ma."

And look at the pockets. Look how they cut across the front of the shorts. Those have got to be the most unflattering type of pockets available for a woman shaped like me - a pear.

You know what the worse part of this whole sit-chi-a-shun is? I put on the jean shorts, and they were comfortable. Darn it! And, AND, AND...even though I purchased the shorts in the size I normally wear, the shorts were very loose fitting. Which, of course, made me think, "Hey, I'm getting skinny again."

Double darn!

So I guess I'm keeping the shorts. Oh, I tell myself that I'll dress them up by wearing a hip Abercrombie or Hollister top, or, better yet, I'll pair them with some of my nouveau Punk wear. My fear is, though, that there will be a day that I'm feeling kind of tired or won't be thinking straight, and I'll throw on a baggy t-shirt and the jean shorts.

It's a slippery slope friends. Please, God, no. Tell me I'm not going down.

10 comments:

Lily said...

Old Navy...it's a crap shoot down there when it comes to fashion.

I am going to withhold judgment until I see these shorts on you, in person.

I will give you the honest opinion.

Dalene said...

I knew I was in trouble a few months ago, when I was shopping the sales racks and found a shirt I really liked. Then... I found another shirt on the same rack that said: "Who needs Santa when you have Grandma?"

I put the shirt back.

So I'm okay with the shorts.
LOL

Chris Eldin said...

You're wearing shoes, right? Tell us you are wearing shoes.
:-)

bluesugarpoet said...

Good move, Dalene. Sometimes I'll be shopping the sales racks and notice that the Grandma standing next to me is going to buy the same shirt as me. Or worse, is WEARING the hoodie that I wanted to buy. On both accounts, I put it back.

Definitely, Chris, I am wearing shoes. (You can all breathe a sigh of relief - I'm not that far down the slope, lol).

I am also wearing a bra. Most of the time.

bluesugarpoet said...

Thank you, Ch@ndy. I can always count on you to serve it up straight. Your opinion is much appreciated (especially since you are fashion savvy). :)

PJD said...

Sometimes I'll be shopping the sales racks and notice that the Grandma standing next to me is going to buy the same shirt as me. Or worse, is WEARING the hoodie that I wanted to buy. On both accounts, I put it back.

At least you're still at the phase where you are putting things back. It's when you see someone younger putting something back that you're wearing when you should truly feel old.

I am one of the lucky ones. By that I mean that I am male, and white, and balding. Which means that no matter what I wear I'll look like a dork, so I just don't worry about it. Hey, I'm all about silver linings. (In clouds. I don't wear silver-lined clothing.)

PJD said...

Forgot to mention:

You've been tagged.

Lily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lily said...

You are required to attend the inquisition.

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

What's wrong with comfort?

Comfort is so ... comforting!

But I don't do jean shorts. Actually I just don't do shorts anymore. My Caspar white legs have actually caused blindness in motorists driving by me. I wear capris to save lives.